In the traditional centre where the Town Hall and the Square are currently located, there used to be a settlement in the ancient times, which was likely to have been created in the Byzantine times (330-1191 AC), of which few remains still exist. The earthquakes, the military conflicts, the Arab raids and the decay of time left nothing intact from this settlement since the remote past. This medieval cistern is the only exception that resists the ravages of time. There is no archaeological interest in the village. However, many findings have been revealed from the archaeological excavations in the surrounding area, dating back to 3000 years ago. Findings in stone carved graves revealed date back to the historical archaic, classical, Hellenistic and Roman Greek period.
The dense structure is the settlement’s typical feature. The houses touch one another and are constructed on the edge of the plot boundary, either perpendicular or parallel to the road.
During winter months, the inhabitants’ needs in water supply were met from the water in the village cistern until 1950. From time to time, water was supplied to their homes from a well south to Agios Athanasios. Water was transported to the village in big pitchers on animals’ back.